To help advocates make the case for asset-building policies and stay informed throughout the year, the Scorecard includes downloadable briefs, guides and regular updates on a wide-range of policies that help build financial security.
Policy Change Map
This new interactive map provides a visual depiction of where changes to Scorecard policies occurred between 2014 and December 31, 2015. The map displays progress – or the lack thereof – made on 55 policies for which CFED can track year-to-year changes. Clicking on each state highlights the specific policies for which a state made positive and/or negative changes in 2015.
Customized by state, Policy Briefs outline why a policy matters, what states can do to improve the policy, policy adoption nationally and whether the selected state has adopted the policy. These Briefs can serve as "leave-behinds" when meeting with policymakers or allies. Download here.
Policy Resource Guides
In-depth Resource Guides include examples of successful policy change strategies, state precedents, advice on policy campaigns and where to find additional resources. Resource Guides are available for the following topics:
- Protections from Predatory Short-Term Loans (Updated in 2014)
- Lifting Asset Limits in Public Benefit Programs (Updated in 2014)
- College Savings Incentives (Updated in 2014)
- State IDA Program Support (Updated in 2014)
- Tax Credits for Working Families (Updated 2012)
- State Microenterprise Support (Updated in 2012)
- Job Quality Standards (Updated in 2012)
- Foreclosure Prevention and Protections (Updated in 2012)
- First-Time Homebuyer Assistance (Updated in 2012)
- Access to Health Insurance (Updated in 2012)
- Access to Quality K-12 Education (Updated in 2013)
- Financial Education in Schools (Updated in 2012)
Policy Innovation Briefs
Policy Innovation Briefs highlight emerging policy ideas that may not yet have been adopted into state law.
- New Entrepreneur Tax Credit (Updated in 2009) – A New Entrepreneur Tax Credit that would help disadvantaged start-ups reap the benefits of formalizing their businesses
- Manufactured Housing (Updated in 2011) – Manufactured housing as a path to affordable homeownership
- Shared Equity Homeownership (Updated in 2009) – Shared-equity homeownership as a way for low-income families to become homeowners and at the same time maintain home affordability for future homebuyers
- Children’s Development Accounts (Updated in 2009) – Matched savings accounts for children and youth, established at birth and allowed to grow over a lifetime
- Universal Voluntary Retirement Accounts (Updated in 2009) – Helping more Americans better prepare for retirement
- Curbing Predatory Car Title Loans (Updated in 2009) – Helping low-income individuals avoid the repercussions of predatory lending practices
- Shared Equity Business Ownership (Updated in 2010) – Business ownership is second only to home ownership as a source of wealth for Americans
Assets & Opportunity Network Monthly Mailings
Assets & Opportunity Network General Members receive monthly mailings that help asset building advocates and practitioners learn about policies, programs and skills that promote financial security and opportunity. Monthly mailings include the:
- Advocacy Community Update: Advocacy Community Updates provide Network General Members with information about state, local and federal policy developments, advocacy spotlights, upcoming events and opportunities and policy and advocacy resources.
- Learning Community Update: Learning Community Updates provide Network General Members with information about effective practices and programs, Network updates, program resources and upcoming events and opportunities.
Start receiving monthly updates by joining the Network as a General Member here.