Policy Priority Policy Briefs and Resource Guides
The Scorecard assesses states on the strength of their policies to expand economic opportunity, including a detailed assessment of 12 policy priorities across the five Issue Areas. Policy Briefs and Resource Guides are available for every policy priority.
Policy Briefs outlines why the policy matters, what states can do to improve the policy, the elements of a strong policy and the impact and results of policy change to date.
In addition to the content in the Policy Briefs, Resource Guides include examples of successful policy change strategies, state precedents, advice on policy campaigns and where to find additional resources.
Financial Assets & Income
Housing & Homeownership
2012 Policy Changes
Policy Innovation Briefs
The priority and additional policies included in the graded section of the Assets & Opportunity Scorecard have all been – in one form or another – adopted in statehouses across the country. There are, however, many other policy proposals that have the potential to expand economic opportunity for thousands or even millions of people that are either not yet on the books or not well known. In the 2009-2010 edition of the Scorecard, CFED is highlighting several of these new and creative approaches to addressing social issues through our new Policy Innovations.
- New Entrepreneur Tax Credit – A New Entrepreneur Tax Credit that would help disadvantaged start-ups reap the benefits of formalizing their businesses
- Manufactured Housing – Manufactured housing as a path to affordable homeownership
- Shared Equity Homeownership – Shared-equity homeownership as a way for low-income families to become homeowners and at the same time maintain home affordability for future homebuyers
- Children’s Development Accounts – Matched savings accounts for children and youth, established at birth and allowed to grow over a lifetime
- Universal Voluntary Retirement Accounts – Helping more Americans better prepare for retirement
- Curbing Predatory Car Title Loans – Helping low-income individuals avoid the repercussions of predatory lending practices
- Shared Equity Business Ownership – Business ownership is second only to home ownership as a source of wealth for Americans
A&O Monthly Policy Updates
The purpose of the Assets & Opportunity monthly policy update is to share information about policies and programs that promote financial security and opportunity. The update is designed for state and local organizations in the Assets & Opportunity Network, along with other advocates, policymakers and stakeholders who are engaged in state and local asset policy.