Building a Shared Learning Community
The Assets & Opportunity Network is a national movement-oriented group of advocates, practitioners, policymakers and others working to expand the reach and deepen the impact of asset-based strategies. The Network is both a learning community and an advocacy community, connecting the assets field nationally to improve service delivery and innovation, as well as to increase participation in the policy process at all levels of government.
For more information about any of the opportunities below, please contact the Assets and Opportunity Team.
Learning groups are time-limited, thematically-based, small groups that learn from each other and outside experts. There are three types of learning groups: (1) Peer Learning Groups; (2) Intensive Learning Clusters and (3) Workshops.
- Peer learning groups give Network members the opportunity to identify issues that matter to them and learn from each other through a series of group peer learning sessions facilitated by Network leadership. Topics are determined via input from Network General Members, Lead State and Local Organizations, and the Network Steering committee.
- Intensive Learning Clusters explore innovations and promising practices emerging from the asset-building field through intensive project implementation and assessment. Topics are determined by external opportunities (e.g., funder interest). Participants drill down into specific focus within the topic. These learning groups are facilitated by CFED staff and funded by external partners.
- Workshops bring together emerging nonprofit and government sector leaders from a given geography to build their capacity to help families become more financially secure. Workshop topics have included “Framing, selling and showing impact of financial security and asset-building programs,” “Integrating asset-building strategies into social service delivery systems,” and “Coalition building for increased impact.” Workshops are co-facilitated by CFED staff and relevant experts.
Visit the Learning Groups page to read about current and past learning groups, join a group or suggest a topic.
The Assets & Opportunity Network hosts webinars and in-person convenings to share learning and facilitate conversations that build the capacity of Network members to implement asset-building strategies and advocate for asset-based policies:
- Webinar topics are selected by the Network leadership based on suggestions from Network members, and may include specific policy issues in which Network members want to engage, innovative approaches to service delivery that Network members want to bring to scale, or strategies for effective coalition-building that Network members want to highlight to build the Network’s capacity. Webinars may also be used to share lessons learned from peer learning groups and intensive learning clusters.
- In-person convenings include events organized by the Network Steering Committee, in collaboration with CFED, as well as conferences, summits or meetings organized by Lead State and Local Organizations.
Visit the Events page to learn about upcoming and past events, to suggest a topic for a webinar or to share an upcoming event.
The Resource Library is a repository of the latest tools, research and resources on asset building and expanding economic opportunity developed by the field and also includes the Assets & Opportunity Network monthly communication tips. You can view the resources several different ways: resources published by Assets and Opportunity Network members, resources sorted by topics/issue areas or resources generated by a customized search of the complete library. The Library is a work in progress so visit regularly for updates and new resources. If you would like to submit a resource to this directory, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Assets & Opportunity Network provides updates to its members through a monthly e-update and Network blog:
- The Assets & Opportunity Monthly E-update provides Network Members with information on the latest policy developments, A&O Network activity, publications and resources, and upcoming events.
- The Assets & Opportunity Network Blog includes blog posts from the 73 Lead State and Local Organizations as well as CFED.